Gates Carbon Drive Belt Anatomy
Gates Carbon Drive Belt Close-up
SIMPLE TO INSTALL. SIMPLER TO MAINTAIN. THE SIMPLEST THE BICYCLE HAS EVER BEEN.
Although Gates engineers have developed high performance belt drives for everything from dragster blower drives to motorcycles to snowmobiles and thousands of other industrial applications, we developed an entirely new belt to specifically meet the performance requirements for the bicycle industry.
THREE KEYS WHEN WORKING WITH CARBON DRIVE
• Carbon fiber is the enabling technology, resulting in the higest modulus and highest strength belt.
• Urethane body is impervious to rust, even after 192 hours of salt-spray test.
• Unlike chain, carbon fiber is length-stable and will not stretch.
• 11mm pitch profile is designed specifically for optimal belt drive bicycle performance and to meet the demands of human power.
• Paired with the Gates patented sprockets, the system provides smooth and quiet meshing, and proven durability.
**Proper installation is key, view handling insert for more information.
Gates Carbon Drive belts are extremely durable and offer long life when properly handled. However, caution must be used before and during installation to avoid damaging the carbon tensile cords. Excessive bending and twisting creates invisible crimps, which can lead to belt breakage.
• Do not back bend
• Do not use as a chainwhip
• Do not bundle
• Do not crimp
• Do not twist
• Do not invert
Alignment is critical, and depending on the particular bike and setup, spacers may be used to ensure proper alignment. Sprockets that are out of alignment can cause noise, wear, or belt walk-off.
Proper belt tension is required to maintain optimum drive operation. For those with frames with vertical dropouts, changing of a flat tire will not require re-tensioning of your belt. Tensioning is easy with the Gates Carbon Drive iPhone® app (available for free download in the iTunes® App store) or Carbon Drive Krikit Gauge or the eco tension tester (currently available in Europe).Unusually low tension can cause the belt to skip, leading to decreased performance. And don’t over-tension the belt, because this will cause drag and unnecessary wear.
||Rider is a Lightweight Speedster
||Rider is Big and Powerful
|MOUNTAIN & SS URBAN
||55 lbs / 65 Hz
||85 lbs / 83 Hz
|INTERNALLY GEARED HUB
||35 lbs / 50 Hz
||45 lbs / 60 Hz